Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jerry Bennett Remembrance



It was 23 years ago today, 27 October 1986, that Technical Sergeant Jerome E. Bennett was fatally injured during a training parachute deployment while assigned to the 24th Special Tactics Squadron. Jerry was conducting a high-altitude freefall jump with the Army's Delta Force when he had a parachute malfunction and died shortly after impacting the ground under a partially deflated parachute canopy.


The Combat Control Association continues to honor Jerry by sponsoring an award in his name. The TSgt Jerome E. Bennett Award is presented at the Combat Control School graduations to the Combat Control School student who best exemplifies the attributes of Technical Sergeant Jerome E. Bennett, namely, that of being a team player, continually putting others ahead of himself; keeping the team together, and striving for mission
success.


Not only was Jerry a "plank holder" at the 24 STS, he was also the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) 165-pound class boxing champion in 1977.


He was a great person, Combat Controller, champion and awesome teammate!


This day in our CCT history, 23 years ago, was a sad one... we lost Jerry Bennett.

Wayne Norrad
President, CCA

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry E Bennett was my uncle and my Hero when I was a child and for him to have a award named after him means alot. I would not have been aware of this if my aunt had not brought it to my attention. As a member of the Bennett family I would like to say thank you.

Anonymous said...

How do I locate the Bennett family, please.

Jean Brown said...

Jerome Bennett and I met at MCCord AFB 1974. We lost contact in 1979. I have been looking for him for 36 years. Wish to offer my condolences to his family.

Elliott McKenzie, USMC Pomona, Ca said...

Who cares? Freaking chair force! Everyone knows Marines do it better than all. He was too weak because he wasn’t a marine like me. Marines do it better!

Elliott Mckenzie
USMC
Pomona, Ca

Leave all the real combat to marines.

Anonymous said...

moncler
golden goose outlet
yeezy
steph curry shoes
goyard
off white outlet online
off white hoodie outlet
giannis shoes
pg 4
jordan shoes