Friday, September 24, 2010

Fond farewell: Over 600 pay last respects to airman

Yvette Sierra Duchene, spoke to the mourners and read a poem she
wrote, titled "Red Beret Sea," about her emotions that followed the news that her son had died in combat.

"I wrote a poem because I wanted to say so many things I didn't know how to say," Duchene said.

The poem read in part:
" 'Your son died in combat,' are the words I still hear / as the blue ocean waves whispered in my ear. / 'He made the ultimate sacrifice' he continued to say / 'Our Brother, Your Son, wouldn't have it any other way.' "

After reading the poem, she made a challenge to everyone in the audience.
"I challenge you to live like Daniel lived," Duchene said. "It's not easy because he took it one day at a time. Get up, go to work, put a smile on your face and enjoy every second of your life."

Link to article:
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_16158319