DONATE YOUR WAR TROPHIES, SAVE A BUCK by Gene Adcock, CMSgt, USAF (CCT) Retired; President, Combat Control School Heritage Foundation
If you are a combat controller and participated in a major training exercise, combat
operation or humanitarian mission in the 1980 to 2000 time frame this message is for you.
The Combat Control School Association (CCSA - the military side) and CCS Heritage Foundation (CCSHF - the civilian side) at Pope Army Airfield, NC needs your assistance in filling historical gaps at the Alcide S. “Bull” Benini Heritage Center and Museum (BHC).
As you know, the BHC is dedicated to displaying artifacts and photographs of Combat Controllers in action. This task includes Training, Combat and Humanitarian operations around the world. To complete our task, we need your assistance in the collection of mission-oriented equipment, uniforms and photographs. Take a peek at the New Combat Control School on opening day. to get an idea of what we are talking about.
The BHC seeks your assistance in filling gaps in our historical displays. Our early history, through the Vietnam era is well documented; although we can always use supplemental items and photographs. In addition, the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT) is well represented with artifacts and photos returned by many of those Combat Controllers who deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. But we have a great shortfall in the period between 1980 and 2000.
I have researched the 1980-2000 combat operations and have determined they are more than I have space to list in this article. So, if you participated in a major training exercise, combat operation or humanitarian mission in the 1980 to 2000 time frame this message is aimed at you.
· Send your old uniforms, hats, caps, patches, team equipment, field gear, radio gear and other items that you may have forgotten to turn-in when you cleared the team for the last time. Serialized items are accepted with without attribution and listed on the incoming inventory as found on base.
WHAT TO DO:
1. Collect the items you are donating.
2. Make an inventory sheet, listing each item.
3. Indicate your estimated value.
4. If the item has a story, tell it; at very least tie it to a date, location and operation.
5. At the bottom of the inventory sheet, include a note: “I understand that the property listed on this inventory sheet is donated to the Combat Control School and will become the permanent property of the U.S. Air Force.” Then sign it. Be sure to include your return address.
6. The CCSHF is a North Carolina registered charitable organization IAW IRS Tax Code 501 (c) 3 and will (when requested) issue a Tax Exempt Statement for Federal Income Tax purposes. Your priced inventory sheet will be attachment to the statement.
7. Mail your donation to: CCSHF, 302 Stacy Weaver Drive, Fayetteville, NC 28311-0814. Allow 45 days for return receipt of a requested Tax Exemption Statement.